If you face problems with your Outlook, one of the first troublshooting steps you should try before doing uninstallation and reinstallation of Outlook is creating a New Profile. A new profile is also recommended when you are upgrading to the latest version of Outlook.
You can follow the steps below to create a new profile:
- Ensure that Outlook is closed
- Open Control Panel.
- Open the Mail Setup dialog box: If you use the Category view, look for the Mail Setup dialog box in the User Accounts category.
- In the Mail Setup dialog box, click Show Profiles.
- On the General tab, under When starting Microsoft Office Outlook, use this profile: click Prompt for a profile to be used, and then click Add.
- In the Profile Name box, type the name that you want to use for the new email profile, and then click OK.
- In the E-mail Accounts dialog box, click Add a new e-mail account, and then click Next.
- Click the appropriate server type for your new email account, and then click Next.
- Type your account information in the required boxes, and then click Next.
- Click Finish, and then click OK.
To add your existing personal data store to the new Profile:
- After you click Finish in the profile wizard, select the new profile from the Mail dialog and choose Properties > click Email Accounts > click view or change email accounts.
- Select New Outlook data file and find your existing PST, add it to the profile and set it as the default.
- Click OK until you are back to the Email Accounts dialog and select the PST you just added in the “Deliver new e-mail to the following location” menu.
- When you return to the Mail Setup dialog, choose Data Files and remove the extra personal folders from your profile.
If you open Outlook, you will now get a prompt to select the profile you would like to use.
If you find this post useful, please leave a comment on the blog.