Right now a lot of you might be wondering… who are ACCIDENTAL SALESPEOPLE?
Well to keep it simple, these are people (like me) who have found themselves becoming salespeople because of the needs of their business and I’m sure there are others like me.
For the sake of this people, here are some of the Email Marketing Tips that are used and recommended by Real Salespeople:
TIP #1: Send a SEPARATE EMAIL TO EACH PERSON, personalized with personal data if appropriate.
Make sure that each person gets a separate email with only their own name in the To field. You can further personalize the content of the email with the person’s name and any other data you want if it adds to the value of your message.
- Do NOT send just one email with everyone’s name stuffed in the To or CC field. It lets everyone know everyone else who is getting the email.
- Don’t send the email to yourself (or undisclosed recipients) and BCC everyone else. It looks unprofessional and makes your email look like SPAM… both to the readers and to most spam filtering software.
TIP #2: Email your list with RELEVANT (and hopefully INTERESTING) information
The information you send to customers must be relevant to them… otherwise you will quickly find yourself banished from their Inbox to their Junk Emails folder.
- Don’t spam your customers. Write content that they are interested in. That way they will WHITE LIST you so that your emails will stay out of their Junk Emails and get into their inbox.
TIP #3: Email your list at the appropriate interval.
What is the appropriate interval between emails? Not so long that they have a hard time remembering who you are… and not so frequently that they lose interest in what you’re writing.
- Don’t train your customers to ignore your emails… if you send them too much information, they won’t make time to look at it.
TIP #4: Segment Your Customers and Prospects (or you could end up losing sales)
Not everyone in your list of customers and prospects are interested in everything you sell. Try and group them into different segments… and then send different emails based on the needs of each group.
- Outlook has a very powerful feature called Categories that you can use to segment your contacts. Unfortunately it is not as easy as it could be to do email merges with this!
TIP #5: KNOW why you are writing the email… What is in it for the reader? What is in it for you… what do you want the reader to do?
Why are you writing a particular email… Is it to inform the customer of a new product… is to inform them of a promotion you are running?
Is there something you want the customer to do… maybe click on a link… or call you… or download a file?
- If you want your customers or prospects to do something then ask them to do it… they can’t read your mind! (You’d be surprised what a difference in conversion rates this simple tip will make)
TIP #6: Write your Emails in a way that gets into their Inbox (and not Junk Emails) folder.
We often get asked by prospective customers if our Email Merge for Outlook can guarantee that their emails end up in Inboxes instead of Junk Mail folders.
Email Merge does many things to improve your chances of staying out of SPAM folders but guess what… if your email is basically spam then chances are it will be blocked.
TIP #7: Respect your customers wishes… don’t send them marketing emails if they’ve asked you to stop
If your customer has asked you politely (the first email is usually polite) to not send them marketing emails then STOP. You will probably need to contact them via email again… use their email address against their wishes and you may find that you get blocked off.
These are if you like the 7 tips that can help you with your Email Marketing efforts.
If you have any other tips, please share it with us and our many readers by leaving a comment below.