EmailMerge for Outlook has a hidden tool that you can use to survey and segment recipients (Customers/employees etc.) based on their responses. Recipients are able to respond to your survey simply by clicking (they don’t even have to reply so you’re more likely to get results). Best of all, you can then use EmailMerge to send out emails to these targeted segments.
This feature requires the use of EmailMerge for Outlook with tracking. Tracking results are visible in our EmailCaddie web application. Results are also usable from inside EmailMerge for targeted re-merges.
Let’s look at an example (I’ll show you exactly how later in this post).
You want to survey your customers to find out if they are working from home or from the office. Once you know who is working from where, you plan to send them emails specific to their work situation.
You can use EmailMerge to create and send out an emails(similar to the image on top). Each possible response by your customer is given as a separate link.
Each customer will get their own copy of the email and they simply have to click on the link that describes their situation.
All responses will be recorded on EmailCaddie.com (EmailCaddie is our web application that is used by EmailMerge for email tracking etc.).
You can now use the above information to:
- Send follow-up merges i.e. send out targeted emails based on how each person responded (EmailMerge can access this data directly so you don’t have to do anything manually)
- Use the summary information to make better decisions
All this is easy to do using the Click Response feature of EmailMerge and EmailCaddie.
Click Response tracking: Step-by-Step
Start your EmailMerge using Email Merge for Outlook.
Create your email content with the responses according to your question. For example, you may want the users to answer by clicking either I will attend or I will not attend.
Now create the hyperlinks as explained below.
- Select the words to hyperlink.
- Right Click and click hyperlink.
- Type “ec:” and then the value that you want EmailCaddie to report when the user clicks on the link e.g. when the user clicks “I will attend”, you may want to record the value Yes. (See the image below)
Continue with the Wizard and send out your Merge.
Once the merge has completed, you can go to EmailCaddie.com and see the respective merge details page to get detailed info about your click responses.
For more information, here is another post which contains a video that shows you exactly how easy it is to send and track your emails and how to do follow-ups using tracking data.
Here are some other examples of how you can use click responses
Sending information to people based on what they are interested in
For example: Which of these products are you most interested in?
After getting the responses you can use the information inside EmailMerge to do follow-up merges i.e. you can do separate merges to people who are interested in each product.
For example: Was this Email helpful?
Having Yes and No options for customers to give their feedback on whether they found the contents of the email helpful.
For example: What time would guys be free for an informal meeting?
You can also have multiple options. For example, 4:00 pm, 5:00 pm, 6:00 pm and 7:00 pm, as options.
RSVP for an event
For example: Will you be attending the Christmas party?
You can have options such as “Attending”, “Not Attending” and “Maybe”. This could aid you to make decisions in regards to planning for the party.
If you are an EXISTING USER of EmailMerge, you can try out EmailCaddie for free.
- Download EmailCaddie for Outlook Installer:
- Ensure Microsoft Outlook is Closed.
- Run the downloaded file (EmailCaddie.exe).
- Start Microsoft Outlook.
- After installation, EmailCaddie will prompt you to login.
- Click on the Register for new account link.
- Complete registration for a new account.
- Start Using EmailCaddie in Microsoft Outlook and Emailcaddie.com
If you’re new to EmailMerge, download a 30-day trial today and see how it can aid you to communicate with your customers and colleges.