I recently bought myself a new 64-Bit computer. Although this was going to be my main work computer, I took a risk and loaded Office 2010 Beta. Here’s why I decided to load the 32-Bit version of Office 2010 although I was running the 64-Bit version of Windows 7.
Some background first…
- If you are running a 64-Bit version of Windows then you can choose to install either the 32-Bit Version or the 64-Bit Version of Office 2010 (this is the first version of Office with a 64-Bit implementation as well).
- If you have a 64-Bit computer but you are running 32-Bit Windows then you can only install the 32-Bit version of Office 2010.
- You cannot run part of Office in 64-Bit and other parts in 32-Bit (e.g. you cannot run 32-Bit Excel with 64-bit Excel. The installer will not allow it!)
My primary reason for sticking to the 32 Bit Version of Office 2010 was:
- I use many other applications that interface with or work inside Office, particularly with Outlook.
- If you use 64-Bit Office then these application will need to be rewritten as 64-bit applications before they can talk to each other.
- At the current time very few software vendors are releasing 64-bit version of their software.
It is highly likely that your favourite Outlook addons will not work with 64-Bit Windows!
Summary… if you are using ANY Office addons or applications that need to communicate with Outlook, Word, Excel or PowerPoint then INSTALL THE 32-BIT VERSION OF 2010.
For more background information, you can also refer to this article on Microsoft’s website on Understanding 64-Bit Office.
16 Replies to “Office 2010: Choosing Between 32-Bit and 64-Bit”
Thank you so much Sanjay. I never would have thought that far ahead. I am running on a 64 bit computer, but still using 32 bit Office 2007 so almost all my add-ons and programs are working. When I upgrade to Office 2010, I’ll keep that in mind.
I need out to open for 2010
You are professional.
28. I’m not sure where you’re getting your info, but great topic. I needs to spend some time learning more or understanding more. Thanks for magnificent info I was looking for this info for my mission.
Good day! I just want to give an enormous thumbs up for the nice information you’ve here on this post. I will be coming back to your weblog for extra soon.
This information seriously aided me, I’m sharing with a few pals.
Aw man I wanted to take a moment to say i love reading your blog!
I’m really impressed with your writing abilities and also with the format in your blog. Is that this a paid subject matter or did you modify it yourself? Anyway keep up the nice high quality writing, it is rare to peer a great weblog like this one these days..
I’ve recently started a website, the information you offer on this site has helped me tremendously. Thank you for all of your time & work.
I haven’t checked in here for some time since I thought it was getting boring, but the last several posts are great quality so I guess I’ll add you back to my everyday bloglist. You deserve it my friend 🙂
Hi there to every one, because I am actually eager of reading this webpageís post to be updated on a regular basis. It carries good information.
We think your information is useful and will revisit for an update in the future.
We also have an information source that is useful and if we can find any synergy in our aims it would be great.We love any news on anything related to Twitter and Re Tweets
Good article. I come back for sure
“Its always good to learn tips like you share for blog posting. As I just started posting comments for blog and facing problem of lots of rejections. I think your suggestion would be helpful for me. I may let you know if its work for me too.”
Thanks for sharing excellent informations. Your web site is so cool. I’m impressed by the details that you
Pretty nice post. I just stumbled upon your weblog and wanted to say that I have really loved surfing around your blog posts. In any case I’ll be subscribing on your feed and I am hoping you write again very soon!